Saturday, January 24, 2009

"Lost," in Translation

So Lost (a show you might not have heard much about because it's not very popular) premiered its fifth season last Wednesday. Now, I am probably one of the few people in the TV-viewing world who has never seen an episode of this show, but I was cajoled by my boyfriend and one of my roommates into sitting in the living room while the show was going on.

I, being the shining, upstanding student that I am, thought that I could read my finance textbook and get some work done while the two of them were absorbed in the Survivor-meets-Grey's-Anatomy-meets-Sci-Fi-Channel-Original-Movie nonsense on the screen. Plus, I could make the BF happy by watching a show HE likes for once (but really--who doesn't like America's Best Dance Crew?).

But I have this problem where, if a TV is on in my presence, I will watch it, no matter what kind of idiotic crap is on. (Everybody Loves Raymond reruns? Another E! countdown special? Sign me up!)

And, holy crap you guys, Lost is effing crazy.

I know I should have picked up on that from the zillions of people who have geeked out over this show in my presence, but I really, REALLY didn't think that it could be true. But, dear God, it is.

In the course of two hours, we had several of my favorite plot elements in all of filmed entertainment:

  • Time travel
  • Flaming arrows
  • Crazy eyes
  • Haz-mat suits
  • Paranoia
  • Science
  • Monsters, maybe?
  • Joaquin Phoenix beard
  • Murder
  • T-shirts with adorable animals on them
  • And so much more!
Any one of these things would have been individually awesome but combined it was like an explosion of candy, glitter, and confusion, all of which make for great entertainment.

I don't know if I'll end up watching another episode because it really didn't make much sense to me, but you never know. I might end up watching all of the past four seasons to prepare myself for yet ANOTHER television obsession.

In other news, I'm taking a break from watching online lectures to write this and now must go back to what I was doing. In the one I was just watching, the IT guy who was filming accidentally turned his mic on and said "I [BEEPED] up!" but they bleeped it before putting it online. Also, a couple of homeless people apparently tried to get into the lecture hall because it was cold that day and they caused a minor ruckus outside, so the prof took a break to tell them to leave.

I'm telling you, finance is way more interesting when stuff like that happens. Or when we talk about credit cards and embezzling, because those are two of my favorite hobbies.

xoxo

No comments: